Saturday, July 04, 2009

The Pirate Party

The more things change, the more they seem to stay the same. Even thought we are all getting older, and the majority of us are now busy raising our families, we still love getting together and celebrating… and the excuse is not all that important, as long as there is a reason to get together.

Today we are celebrating my friend Chris' birthday. The annual tradition is The Pirate Party. This cross between scary pirates, patriotic, and transplanted New Orleans Bacchanalia, has been going on as long as I can remember.

The parties used to be pretty wild and lasted long into the evening back in the day, but lately they have become a lot more family friendly, no less fun, just a bunch more widely attended.

The invite for the party has always been a poster that Chris has designed. (Among his many talents he is a graphic design artist. I envy people with an artistic bent!) And this year was no different.

This year I was honored to open the invite and see a strangely familiar sight. The invite (on the left – with the address obscured) sparked a memory so I went to the photo catalogs I keep and found out why. Sam posed for the picture on the right for me at last year's party.

Chris has always been the creative type so I felt honored that this year a picture I had taken was worked into one of his art projects!

The party is this afternoon and I will be there with some dips (a lime-garlic hummus and a black bean and corn salsa) and my cameras… maybe I can make the poster again next year!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you'll have the opportunity to celebrate the day with your friends.

Don Bergquist – July 04, 2009 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: