Sunday, November 23, 2008

Aah!

What a lovely feeling doing nothing all day!

I guess my blog must be getting a bit dull, On weekends all I want to do is to go for a bike ride or a walk in the park with the dog. And during the week I am too busy at the office to really get out and do any world-seeing... so in the past year my blog title has become more figurative than literal.

How different from four years ago, when I started the blog because I was going to be traveling regularly to Europe. But there is, I suppose a lot of things I could be discussing in the blog. For example, the current political situation. What the hell is going on in Washington!?

When did it become advisable to reward a company for poor performance? The "Big Three" auto makers have an almost perfect track record in recent years of building cars that people don't want (or can't afford) to buy. But now, all of the sudden, we have to send them BILLIONS of dollars to keep them solvent. And they expect that they will keep building the same cars that nobody wants or needs. There is a reason Japanese cars are so popular in the US!

I hope that we will see some responsible behavior out of congress... now that the congress is more central than it was a few years ago, and skewing a bit left of center, perhaps they will start to watch out for the common man, rather than the CEO. If the little guy cannot afford to buy a product then all the money in Washington will not support an industry for too long.

Forget supply-side economics, let's look at demand-side economics. Sure, we can't buy what isn't available, but they can't sell what we can't afford to buy!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have a great day!

Don Bergquist - November 23, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: