Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I HATE Being In A ‘Battleground’ State!


Oh, good lord, people! Give it a rest!


I have only been awake this morning for about an hour and already I have seen Mike Huckabee ling me that Obamacare was ‘shoved down my throat’ and that it is absolutely imperative to repeal it.

If it is so important to repeal the Affordable Healthcare Act, and if it is so unpopular, I’d like to know how it passed both houses of the legislature and has survived more than 31 votes to repeal if it is so unpopular! The TEA Party has hated this act since it was introduced even insisting that it was ‘a government takeover of health care’ which has been debunked over and over and over and…

The truth is that this bill was modeled on the wildly successful and popular State Healthcare bill that was put into place in Massachusetts by then-Governor Romney.

The bill passed in the house by five votes; 220-215 in the house. In the senate it faced a filibuster by Republicans which was ended when special concessions were made to give additional funding for Medicare to Nebraska that convinced Ben Nelson to drop his objection to the vote. The bill passed on the senate 60-39.

As has been repeatedly debunked, there are no death panels, the bill does not impose the government between you and your doctor, and apart from closing the Medicare ‘donut hole’ and saving money for seniors, and mandating that all people take personal responsibility for their health care – an idea that was originally proposed by that bastion of liberalism; Newt Gingrich (R) Georgia – I fail to see what the Republicans, including Mr. Huckabee have against this!

As it is essentially a Republican plan that has been adopted ad passed by the Democrats, you would expect them to be on-board for it. If anyone can explain why they are so against this, I would love to hear it.

Oh, and before I get a slew of people telling me I am a liberal rube – no. I am a non-aligned voter who is libertarian in my outlook. I believe in doing my own research, selecting reputable sources for my research and rejecting any sources that are demonstrably skewed. (Sorry, Fox – your “news” is shown to be surprising dearth of actual facts.)

I do not question Mr. Huckabee’s sincerity, I question his cause. It is my personal belief that he is making a political argument and dressing it in the guise of good policy – a point on which we will have to disagree. 

Wherever you are today, I hope you will take an informed interest in the issues of the day.

Don Bergquist – August 28, 2012 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: