Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Summer Ends??

According to the calendar and the astronomers, the summer ended on Friday morning at about three in the morning local time. You certainly can't tell it from where I'm sitting, or from where I am walking for that matter!

Mornings in the park have been absolutely lovely of late. Cool but not so as to require that I wear sweats or a warm-up; the days are warm. We've had one brief cold snap and I got to test the heat (I like to make sure that the heat will come on when it is needed. I take this as my opportunity to clean and test the furnace) but the high temperatures have been in the high eighties, low nineties. Is it really the end of September!?

I have heard that the leaves are starting to change up in the mountains and perhaps it is time for my annual drive up into the hills, but that will have to wait... there is too much to do down here in town!

There is work to do around the house, getting it ready for the winter that is coming. There are always projects to do for work, and of course, Saga doesn't really love driving in the mountains, poor thing gets bored. (Not to mention that the winding roads tend to toss her around a bit in her kennel!)

I have built an extra day into the time-off that I have requested for my trip to Minnesota next week. Perhaps I will drop Saga off early or pick her up late and use that opportunity to get up into the mountains. Hmmm...

Oh, speaking about the heat, the President spoke at a local high school yesterday. (I didn't realize that it was going to be scheduled around the lunch hour at a school near my house - I worked from home yesterday and went out to have lunch with a friend. I had to detour miles out of my way to get home because the had roads blocked off for the president's motorcade. - But I digress...) According to the news this morning, the paramedics on hand were busy with a number of people who were overcome with the heat.

Oh well, it is lovely weather and soon enough, we will be complaining about the cold and snow. So, I guess that the best thing to do is live in the moment. To quote the final line of Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Echo: "Right now, it is so beautiful!"

Wherever you are today, I hope you will live in the moment and appreciate the beauty around you!

Don Bergquist - September 28, 2011 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: