Monday, February 08, 2010

Not Much Happening...

Oh, come on! You just know that this is going to be the day to hold it over the heads of football fans. I mean really, how important can the game be when the big news leading-up to the game is what commercials are (or aren't) going to be in the game.

This year it seemed to have been worse than usual. Not only was there the usual hype about who was going to be in the game, but there was also a clever advertiser who determined that it would be pretty cool to try and get on so that they could fail and then make it good on the publicity that they got for free from not being permitted to advertise in the game itself.

As for myself, I didn't watch a minute of it... come-on, let's be honest. I had already seen what was going to be in the breaks (which, as any broadcast traffic person can tell you, is the only part of the show that matters)and was certain that the commercials would be recapped on the news today. Furthermore, I knew that no matter how "good" (and I use the word without prejudice) the game might be I would be hearing about it for a week or more on the news.

Why is it that football is like M*A*S*H? Because just like the TV Series was longer than the war it depicts, the coverage of the football game and the analysis and the "highlight" will be on the air for much longer than the game itself. (Oh yeah!)

Besides, I had more important things to do yesterday. The person who was throwing the party, brought-out a game while waiting for "The Game" to start. I played once with a large group then a couple more games with the people at the party who, like me, had no interest in the game. It was fun.

But honest being important to the author of this blog (No, really! It is!) I have to admit that I have heard enough to at least know who won... I suppose there will now be a reason to celebrate for my New Orleans friends! So, congrats, guys!

(Oh, and I have a reason to celebrate too! I won two games of Ninja Burger and one game of Super Munchkin. Okay, it may not make the news, but I enjoyed it!)

Wherever you are today, I hope that you had a great weekend!

Don Bergquist - February 08, 2010 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: