Friday, November 27, 2009

The "Holiday Shopping Season" Begins

Today is the official beginning of the holiday shopping season! (Yeah!!!) Oh, but were there a way to express the absolute sarcasm with which that "yeah" was proffered.

It is not as if I am a total Scrooge, but I hate this time of year at many public venues but I hate it at commercial venues especially; Yule spirit does done not go over well with me when it is forced from without. The fact that Christmas decorations started appearing more than a month ago is not something that helps foster the mood.

Look: I dislike malls at the best of times; I like them even less when they are crowded with holiday shoppers. Since when has the commercial spirit been the spirit of the season? So I am staying home today to read. There is no reason for me to venture forth.

Wherever you are today, I hope your holiday season kicks off in whatever way pleases you best.

Don Bergquist – November 27, 2009 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: