Monday, November 02, 2009

ADOLAT

This weekend I stopped into a shop to pick-up a couple things I needed and there was this cool little doo-hickey on the counter that caught my attention.

It was a disk made of cardboard with a swirl pattern printed on it. On top of that was a sheet of some sort of Lucite or plastic or something that had a different kind of a swirl pattern printed on it. Set in the middle, serving as a pivot for the two was a faceted piece of plastic or Lucite or something that you could look through to get a sort-of bug’s eye view of the things around you.

Or you could spin the two discs relative to each other and get psychedelic patterns to show. It was pretty cool looking and I played with it a while and then put it down. Then while waiting for the clerk to finish ringing-up my order, I picked it up again and played with it some more…

My reverie was interrupted (when I had picked it up for the third time) by the voice of the clerk. “Ohh! Shiny. You want me to ring that up? You obviously want it!”

“No, just looking at it.” Was the lame response I gave.

“Yeah, I have been doing that all day myself.” he confided. “It must be my ADOLAT.”

“Excuse me?” I asked puzzled.

“You know: Attention Deficit” at which point he turned and looked suddenly at the back of the store as if I had been forgotten “Ooh! Look At That!”

I have to admit. It was one that I had not heard before. We chuckled, finished the transaction and I left; a new thing to snicker at occasionally in my bag one-liners.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have something to chuckle at!

Don Bergquist – November 02, 2009 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

2 comments:

CathyW said...

he he, very cute

Unknown said...

What's cute?

My ADOLAT has kicked in and cannot tell what you are talking about.

;)

djb