Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wasn't It Just Spring!?

This is what two-days of snow looks like.

At three-o'clock (approximately) on Thursday morning the national weather service here in Colorado changed the Winter Storm Advisory to a Blizzard Warning. The difference being (and don't feel bad if you didn't know this – I had to look it up) the wind. I know what time this occurred because my weather radio (which I had forgotten included some of the winter weather warnings) went off at that time alerting me to the imamate danger of foul weather.

I decided to work from home on Thursday. Which turned out to be a wise choice; the conditions were not too bad when Saga and I went for our walk in the park at five. There was only a dusting of snow and the temps were not that bad. It was a bit breezy, but nothing like what we would see the rest of the day.

Looking out about nine, the situation was totally different. The wind was whipping the aspens outside my place around. The snow was flying by horizontally, and the visibility was practically nil. I could not clearly see the next building over which is a distance of less than 30 yards.

By the time the snow quit falling on Friday morning my garden bench had 19.5" of snow on it, there was about 15" of snow on the center of the deck, and the snow in the yard was as low as 11 inches and as deep as two feet; depending on where you took the measurement. The deck, where I had spent a pleasant, warm afternoon just this past weekend, had a nice thick layer of frosting all over it!


That was a couple days ago, though, and the weather since has been lovely. The snow is melting and the park, while a bit muddy, is once again Saga's preferred venue for our walks. This is what I love about springtime in the Rockies! Ya just never know what you're gonna get!

Wherever you are today, I hope that your spring is going well!

Don Bergquist – March 29, 2009 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking at the photos, all I could think of is..............BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep warm,

Sheila

Unknown said...

Hey, Sheila!

Nah! What you have to remember is that unlike Minnesota, this stuff will be gone in a couple days.

It was in the sixties this weekend. Of course, saying that, the weather forecasts for the week call for snow Today, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday... So much for the norm!

Hope all is well down there in South Carolina!

djb