Sunday, April 06, 2008

It Isn’t The Thames…

…heck, it isn’t even the South Platte!

But, it is what I have. So I ride along Bear Creek. It is pleasant. For most of the distance from Fox Hollow (a few miles west of here) to the confluence with the South Platte (about ten miles to the east of here) the bike path in the greenbelt runs along the bluff to either the north or the south of Bear Creek.

For one thing, except in the springtime, the average depth of Bear Creek is about three feet. The widest place I know of on the entire creek is only about ten feet across… the average width is more like four feet. You’ll definitely not be seeing rowing crews, sailors, or Turk’s Launches along Bear Creek… as if there was anything that exciting to get to along the Bear Creek.

But still, I love riding the greenbelt for three reasons:

It is a lovely ride… Granted, it has no pub to stop at on my ride, but…

It is protected from traffic… Though there are fewer wanker drivers here, there still are some…

At no time of the year, is the Bear Creek Trail infested with old ladies, arms laden with plants, who have just exited the Hampton Court Flower show. Granted, there are people in the Bear Creek Park that don’t seem to get the idea that that strip of concrete is a bike path and not a place to pile all the picnic paraphernalia…

It is a lovely day to ride; I think I may ride up to the base of the dam at Fox Hollow today before heading toward the confluence… It is a nice day, but I will have to get going. They are predicting rain or snow by some time this afternoon. So, although Bear Creek isn’t the Thames, it is still a lovely ride.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you appreciate your surroundings!

Don Bergquist – April 06, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: