Monday, November 20, 2006

South Florida

The flight was good! We got into Detroit a bit late and then my flight to Ft. Lauderdale was also late, but all in all, the day was a good one.

She had a quick meeting this morning and then we headed across the Alligator Alley to Apollo Beach. They have signs pointing-out that there are scenic views of the Everglades from Alligator Alley. It was a good drive and Mary and I had a couple hours together to chat and make plans for the upcoming holiday.

Perhaps I am jaded, but I think the views of the Everglades and the Big Cypress Swamp were far better back when the alley was a two-lane ribbon of blacktop with no breakdown lanes and only the two pull-outs for the entire 120 mile stretch. Sure, it was a dangerous and often closed road, but the Everglades look far healthier back then.

(Though I may have applied the filter of nostalgia a bit heavy and am remembering it a s being nicer than it was.)

Tonight I had dinner with my best friend and am spending the night here so that tomorrow I can head over to the University of Central Florida (my alma mater) for a quick visit. The evening was nice. We had Chinese, and then a few Gin and Tonics. We had a great chat and caught-up. The kids have gone off to bed and I’m the only one up so I suppose I will log off and get some sleep myself now.

I hope wherever you are today; you’ve had an excellent day with family and friends.

Don Bergquist - 20 November 2006 - St. Petersburg, Florida USA

No comments: