Monday, January 25, 2016

Twenty-Three

Happy Birthday, Mom! 

Mother
with
Speed and Judy


Were my mother alive, she would be turning twenty-three today. She would have been twenty three yesterday, and to be honest, no matter when you asked her she would have been twenty-three. 

It was a never-ending source of amusement to me and my siblings (well, me at least, but then I have always had something of a twisted sense of humour) that Mother either believed that she was twenty-three; or that Mother believed that WE believed that she was twenty-three.

No matter who asked her, or when, Mother was Twenty-Three. I hear that age so many times over the years that to-date, the only birthday that has ever bothered me was in 1985 when I turned twenty-three, I was sure that I was supposed to feel old. 

But, hey! Age is a state of mind, right!? 

So that fact that were she alive today her youngest child would be more than twice her age would not phase her. Were she alive today, and you had the effrontery to ask her, my mother would look at you with a wry smile and proudly tell you she was twenty-three. 

Wherever you are today, I hope that you are whatever age you like best. 

Don Bergquist - January 25, 2016 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA    

No comments: