Thursday, December 25, 2014

Winter Wonderland

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening?

hristmastime is always one that makes me nostalgic – there is so much to be nostalgic for: the food, the music, the family and friends. From the early Christmases waiting for Santa to the music and smell of candles at midnight mass, this time of year always takes me back.
This year, I had a chance to really go back in time! My company sent me back to Miami for a quick visit to a client that is considering installing our system. The trip was really a drive down memory lane. The phrase ‘Winter Wonderland’ takes on a whole new meaning in a place where you can tell it is winter because there are six-foot snowflakes being displayed among the palm trees.
I think of Christmases past and think of all the places I have spend the holidays; Florida, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Colorado. I’ve ushered in the holidays at various places in Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia. At this time of year, what makes it a winter wonderland is not the ornaments, the tree, the food; it is the family and friends.
…and the memories of another year going by the boards.
The year started in Colorado, waiting to head back to Sydney (Australia) for a trip to finish-up some business that I had left unfinished. It was a lovely time to be in Sydney; the summer down there. Though the flights were long and so where the hours while down there, the trip was a good one.
In March, I went to the desert and saw the Joshua Trees for the first time. I had the opportunity to go to the southwest to see the rocks, and learn some geology from a friend, it was an amazing trip and the desert is so lovely at that time of year..
In May I rented a pick-up and headed back to Minnesota for a visit. Flo had offered me her dragon-back chairs, I have always loved those chairs, two of them came from my Grandmother – Flo found the others somewhere and, unless you’re looking closely, they look as if they are all from a set.
Oh! What fun we had in May! We all went out to one of my Dad’s favorite restaurants (Chet’s Lakeside Inn) and ran into our cousins, the Brueskes who, completely by chance, were there at the same time. As it was about the same time of year that Dad and Flo always had their annual open house, it was almost as if Dad was trying to tell us he was still with us and arranging the get-together.
On the Sad news side, Saga – my dear pet and companion for the past twelve years – went on to the great sheep round-up in the sky. Her health had been waning for weeks, and I went to the vet to talk to her about the situation. In the end, we had a lovely day; we spent that day cuddling on the couch she eating all the hot dogs she could convince me to give her, me remembering the good time from the past dozen years. When the end came, we were together and it was very peaceful.
This summer I got assigned to a couple new projects at work, both of them are going to be big and take a lot of my attention. I am really looking forward to these. They are interesting projects that I can really sink my teeth into.
I got to see my friends and family (even if briefly) when I was in Florida on business this month, and while taking pictures of Mary & Corey’s house, lit for the boat parade, a boat went past and left light trails on my image… I thought it looked cool.
This is why I never delete any pictures, no matter how bad they might appear at first blush.
And now, as the year is coming to an end I can see that the new year is going to be just as busy. I am supposed to start on a new project early in the year and am looking forward to keeping myself busy with projects, and friends, and family.
I hope to be visiting Minnesota once or twice – and perhaps a road trip somewhere this summer. But for now, I am back in Colorado – in a place where they do not have to hang artificial snow flakes from the palm trees. And as nice as it is to go home every once-in-a-while, I think that I really do prefer my Winter Wonderland.
But for now, it is nearly time to leave this year behind, so I wish you continued health and happiness and a joyous holiday season of whatever variety you prefer!
Happy Holidays!


WinterWonderland
By
Felix Bernard & Richard Smith
Sleigh bells ring
Are you listening
In the lane
Snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight
Walking in a
winter wonderland

Wherever you are today, I hope that your day is as lovely! Merry Christmas!

Don Bergquist - December 25 2014 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: