Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye shoulders of Giants."

~ Sir Isaac Newton 
(in a letter to Robert Hooke dated 15 February 1676)


We are the legacies of our parents. Anyone who does not believe that is just not paying attention. I first noticed that I was becoming my father on a Boy Scout trip in 1992. I was volunteering for a troop that one of my coworkers had kids in. It was an early, foggy, morning in north-central Tennessee and I was up making breakfast for the leaders (it was my day for KP) when one of the kids asked if he could have a cup of coffee.

There was plenty and I had asked his dad if it was okay on a previous occasion, so I said “sure” and went back to shredding the potatoes for the hash browns. I was lucky that I didn’t shred my fingers as I watched the kid scoop spoon after spoon of sugar into his cup followed by a healthy glug of milk. It was then I first heard dad’s voice issue from my mouth. It said the same thing I had heard so many times before on camping trips with Troop 599 in Miami when I was a kid:

“Son,” it said in that fake drawl that Dad affected when he was trying to be folksy, “if you can’t drink that coffee with less than a pound of sugar and a gallon of milk, then you really don’t need the coffee.”

To be honest, I think that same thought each time I am in a Starbucks!

Double decaf mocha frapa-whatzitz with heavy cream?” I hear someone order and immediately, I hear my dad retort: “That’s not a coffee. It’s a milkshake!”

Wherever you are today, tell your dad that you love him and are proud to be becoming more like him each day!

Don Bergquist – June 15, 2014 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: