Thursday, March 20, 2014

R.I.P. Fred Phelps!

I have just heard that the “GOD HATES FAGS” guy, Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist “Church” passed away last night.  Were I a devout person, I would pray that his god is more forgiving of his transgressions and imperfections than he was of the sins and transgressions he perceived in others.

Not being one, I have only this to say: Though there would be more than enough justification for people to protest at his funeral, intruding on his family at their time of grief, I hope that he and his family will be afforded a consideration he never saw fit to offer to others. Sinking to their level, while it may be personally gratifying, would make anyone who did so no better than the late Mr. Phelps and his misguided followers. I hope that anyone who plans to give Mr. Phelps the sendoff he so thoroughly deserves (if there is anything to the concept of karma) will stop, breathe deeply, and satisfy themselves with the thought of being an insufferable wanker rather than the actuality of it.  

For those of you who are praying people – might I suggest that you put in a good word that the god that judges this man is less harsh than he was on his fellow humans, and while you’re at it, you might add a prayer that his “church” (and I use the word without prejudice) dies with him and his followers see the error of their ways.

Wherever you are today I hope you will remember not to speak ill of the dead!

Don Bergquist – March 20, 2014 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: