Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Oxymorons

ox·y·mo·ron (äksəˈmôrˌän)
noun

1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction
(e.g. Cautiously Exuberant, Cruel Kindness, Deafening Silence, Jumbo Shrimp)

[via New Latin from Greek oxumōron, from oxus sharp + mōros stupid]
noun: oxymoron; adj: oxymoronic; adv: oxymoronically


I do not know about the “Oxy” part of the word, but I have certainly heard the “Moronic” part!

This morning, on my way in to the office, I heard something on the news that left me absolutely nonplussed! The commentator was interviewing someone who described her senator, Senator Ted Cruz (R) Texas, as an “Anti-Government senator.” God! I wish I had been recording that! What a classic Oxymoron!

What idiot would elect an anti-government government official? What does that even mean? They take their pay but feel guilty about it!? What will they think of next? Any anti-tooth dentist? An anti-health doctor?

I am all for change where change is due – a life without change, is death. But really!? You would send a person to do a job whose whole philosophy seems to be: “Pay me to do a job and I will make sure that not only I don’t do that job, but I’ll make it impossible for anyone else to do their job!”

I have no idea how any of this makes any sense to anyone – oh wait, maybe it’s ironic humor run amok. Maybe it is just performance art. If you see it as pantomime, it makes perfect sense! I’d laugh if I didn’t find the concept so damn scary!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have a good laugh at something. 

Don Bergquist – October 23, 2013 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: