Monday, November 12, 2012

Schadenfreude? Me!? Never!


scha·den·freu·de  [shahd-n-froi-duh]
noun
satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.

Origin:
1890–95;  < German,  equivalent to Schaden  harm + Freude  joy


I don't understand the accusation that I have gotten over the past few days that I am guilty of shcadenfreude. Nothing could be further from the truth. I take no joy in watching the train wreck that has been going on for a week over at Faux News! Sure, it is somewhat entertaining watching the extent to which they contort the narrative to assure their viewers that although their candidate lost, it somehow means their viewpoint is the winner in the recently completed presidential race.

I watch Fox news not to entertain my morbid curiosity and take joy in their discomfort as America rejects the long-debunked economic theory and their draconian and medieval social policy. I watch Fox to see what the next crackpot misinformation I am likely to hear from my Neo-Con friends is likely to be. I keep hoping to hear some defensible point. I am still waiting.

It is not as if I think for a minute that they actually believe these ideas – they're clearly pandering to those factions of the society that they think they can mobilize to vote for them despite the fact that their policies are grotesquely unfair to anyone not already outrageously wealthy and powerful

So, apparently, those wacky radical right-wing mouthpieces over their at Fox, who have already demonstrated their reticence to accept basic Biology, Climatology, Cosmology, and Physics over the years, have now demonstrated that they don't believe in Mathematics either!

I have to say that I was amused if not exactly surprised to watch on Tuesday night as the pundits over on Fox continued to have faith that Romney would win despite the mounting evidence to the contrary. Faith is, after all, the ability to believe a premise despite all the evidence to the contrary. I particularly enjoyed their claim that Romney had won Ohio even after all the other networks had called it for the president.  But what I take no joy in is the fact that it shows a basic misunderstanding of how numbers work. Here's a clue for Faux And Fiends: your candidate's percentage of the vote was SMALLER than that for the other guy. That means you lost. That means the views espoused by the party of the old, angry, white guys was rejected by the populace. It's just embarrassing, the extent to which you will go to polish that turd! Give it up and move on.

Wherever you are today I hope you take no pleasure in the discomfort of others!

Don Bergquist – November 12, 2012 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: