Sunday, August 27, 2006

All Grown Up!

I believe I may have mentioned my friend Renee (name changed to protect the identity for the sake of discretion) from the pub. Renee is a gregarious young lady. By far the youngest of my friends in the UK. Yesterday I was invited by Renee's parents to her fifth Birthday party.

In response to a comment on how grown up she acted, Renee explained. "When I was this many" she said holding up her fist with only her pinkie finger extended "I was just a little baby."

"Then when I was this old" at this point, Renee extends a second finger, the ring finger, from her balled-up fist "I was just a toddler."


"When I was this old" she adds the middle finger to the two extended previously "I was just a little kid."

"Now I am this old" she adds the index finger to the extended digits.

"And soon I will be this old" out comes the thumb "and then I will be an adult."

"Ah, and are you going to get married then?" I ask

"I'm not getting married on my birthday!" she explains to me as if it was the stupidest thing she had ever heard of.

The party was nice, but I did learn that I come in third in the men Renee fancies. Coming in ahead of me are Kevin, my friend the police officer, who is second only to Paulo, the barman at the King's Arms.

Ah, young love!

I hope that wherever you are today, you can spend some time with someone you fancy or who fancies you!

Don Bergquist - 27 August 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: